Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Amy Evelyn Aldridge


Amy Evelyn Aldridge was my maternal grandmother, and someone I spent a lot of time with as a child. She was always known as Eve or Eva, rather than Amy. To her grandchildren, she was known as Nony.

She was born on March 18, 1908, to Isabel Amy Aldridge (nee Pitt) and Benjamin Aldridge, the eldest of four surviving children of that marriage: Lily, Connie and Bennie being the other surviving children.

Her father was killed within six months of the end of the first world war in 1918, and her mother subsequently married her dead husband's brother, Charlie Aldridge. They then had a daughter, Poppy. I am not sure that this was legal at the time, it's something I need to look at when I don't have anything else to do.

Eve passed the civil service exam and went into the civil service before she married my Grandfather. She later worked as a school secretary at the Primary School I attended. She played the piano, and was an accomplished potter too. The Primary school was rather unusual in that it had its own kiln, it's own swimming pool, and its own sheep.

Eve had a strong interest in health and well being and was years ahead in her thinking on food and nutrition. She enjoyed trips to Switzerland, Austria and Norway with the school, and loved walking.

No comments: