Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Honora Fitzpatrick

I know nearly nothing about Honora Fitzpatrick, who was my grandmother. She died during the war. If anyone with links to Fitzpatricks is able to put together the facts about my grandmother and identify her family, I shall be very grateful.

The absolute facts are that she married my grandfather William Edward CLARKE in 1931, in London. She said that her father was James Fitzpatrick and a farmer. She had three children, and at the beginning of the second world war, the surviving two children, Phyllis and Theodore, were evacuated separately.

Honora's husband had been admitted to hospital before the war. In 1942 she died, and her sisters came to bury her. All I know about them is that one of them was called Mrs B. Ruth and lived in Doris Street, Ballsbridge, Dublin.

The sisters removed all the personal possessions from the flat and went home to Ireland. They did not see or contact the children, and they left no forwarding address, although I have the address of Mrs B. Ruth as the informant on the death certificate.

The only other thing I know is that Honora had a sister, Mary Fitzpatrick, who emigrated to America and worked at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. She sent occasional parcels to my father and his sister, but those stopped by 1960.

That's it. That's all I know. My father was sent to lots of different places and eventually to a children's home. My aunt was lucky enough to find a good home with the people she was evacuated to, and she stayed there for the rest of the war and some years afterwards.

They lost contact for a number of years, and found each again only in the 1950s, when they used to spend Tuesdays together. Neither of them remembers anything else of use, except my father is convinced that the Fitzpatrick family came from Kilkenny.

I am hoping tht at some stage in the future, someone will research their family tree, and put Honora and her sister Mrs Ruth into it, and I will make the link!

No comments: